Lil Snoozy Owners Club

RIVER VALLEY EGG RALLY 2014   

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > HOW IS YOUR SNOOZY > Picked up Our Snoozy #181 March 29th

todd&anita

Ordered it in December and picked it up Saturday 3/29/2014 just as they were finishing it. We have owned 3 pop-ups and four stick built trailers prior to this (some about this length and width and others larger). Six boats from 18 feet to 25. Between them and an assortment of utility trailers from 5 x8 up to 8 X 14, all together probably have about 200,000 miles of trailer towing experience. The approx. 750 miles we spent the week we picked up the Snoozy camping in South Carolina and towing it home was by far the most pleasurable towing experience ever. The Snoozy tows like a dream. Wind, whether a head wind, tail wind, or cross wind, with or without traffic, passing or being passed, the trailer never once was affected. The only difficult thing was not forgetting it was behind us. Granted our tow vehicle is a little over the top for the Snoozy - 1997 Ford F250 HD Supercab with a 460 rated to tow 9,800 lbs. The boat needs it, the Snoozy just follows it around. But that, or an almost comparable vehicle, is what I have towed other trailers with and never have I been so amazed at how aerodynamic the towed trailer handled.

--
April 21, 2014 at 10:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Carl Keigley

Congratulations on your new tag-a-long.

I basically had the same experience when we picked ours up.

It was storming and pouring down rain and we just whizzed down

the highways.  We pulled it with a 2010 Tacoma V-6 crew cab with

a topper on the bed.  

--

Lil Snoozy #161

April 21, 2014 at 10:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

todd&anita

We ordered the Snozy with the following options:

Fiberglass tongue cover and generator cover and had the battery factory mounted outside on the tongue cover;

Disc surge brakes (I once converted a boat trailer from surge drums to surge discs and was so amazed at the difference in stopping pwer I would never get drum brakes if discs are an available option. Our boat trailer has electric over hydraulic discs, but that is an 8,000 lb trailer situation and more expensive and high pwered than needed for the Snoozy.) They worked exceptionally well in all conditions and were smooth as silk.

Cassette Toilet. I was not sure about this. Have had port-a-pottis, black holding tanks, and high tech vacu-flush systems. This is by far the easiest to clean and dump, neatest, and most sensible system for the way we use the facility.

Fantastic Fan. Works so well with the spring temperatures we really did not get to try out the air conditioner beyond making sure it worked, which it appears to do very well.

Aluminum Mag Wheels and aluminum spare - look good and weigh less, who would not order them?

Rear Bumper

Wood Coat Hook Rack over entertainment cabinet.

Rear exterior light with motion sensor under air conditioner - simple night light but the coolest $15 one can spend.

Bathroom Door Lock set up to keep the door open rather than closed - this may be the new way it comes because it makes more sense.

Truck Fridge 12 volt /120 volt refrigerator. This thing is wonderful. Nice neat installation at the factory. It is so quiet you have to listen carefully even tell if it is running.

Storage cover - washed #181 last night and put it on - fits well - definitely custom done.

April 21, 2014 at 10:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

todd&anita

My experience with Richard Mickle and Lil Snoozy was overall positive. If Richard is a little late returning an E-Mail once in a while, my conclusion is it is just because he is too busy - When the time got right and I needed a response he was on cue. After camping for a week we stopped back at the factory for a minor warranty issue (4 screws that accidently got left off of two cabinet hinge mountings) and met Carl, the new production supervisor. We had a nice visit and I am convinced he and Richard have a goal to make the Snoozy the best and most functional it can be. The floor plan worked for us better than our much larger trailers (Our Labrador retriever passed away last summer so we just had the one smaller dog) but even if she had been with us it would have worked as well or better than some of our other trailers. Santee State Park is very close to Snoozyville and I recommend it for someone that wants to camp close the first nigth or two. County setting with little traffic makes for some good bike riding. The Edisto River is just a little farther south with two state parks that lend themselves to good kayking. And here is the cool thing - The Snoozy with its rear door and wide hallway will hold your tandem while you drive to the lauch site to kayak down the river so you have transportation back to get the truck. Hunting Island State Park is wonderfull. Good bike riding from one end of the Island to the other and kayaking on the ocean is a neat experience. Lots of dogs in this park so if you like fury friends it is almost like going to a dog show. Finally you should not miss the Blue Ridge Mountains. Devils Fork campground is on a nice mountain reservoir with some beautiful waterfalls that make good kayak destinations. I really need to spend more time planning retirement. The Snoozy is very comfortable even on very cool nights with a small ceramic disc space heater set as low as it goes. If you keep the fan vent open and one window cracked the condensation you get in any small trailer is essentially a non-issue.

April 21, 2014 at 11:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ks
Limited Member

"...Fiberglass tongue cover and generator cover and had the battery factory mounted outside on the tongue cover;..."

(ours on order for May)  This sounds like a good idea.  Any way you could send us pictures of this?  Or post to the site if you can figure out how.  Is the battery in a "battery box" and then covered by the generator cover?

April 24, 2014 at 11:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Road trip Rhonda

Great info in your post.  We will be picking up our snoozy middle of June.  I will be adding some of the things you listed. I like the idea of getting the aluminum wheel for the spare.  I asked Richard if they would mount it for me where he thought it would work the best. I'm a little concered about the weight on the fiberglass so the lighter wheel will help.  I'm still thinking about the fridge tho.  I have never had an all electric and don't quite understand the reason for the change. Feel free to school me. It's such a relief to hear how well the snoozy tows as we have never had a pull behind trailer. I'm a little nervous about it. Was wondering if a sway bar would be needed.  Doesn't sound like it. We will be towing with a roadtrek. Thanks again for the good information.

April 24, 2014 at 11:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

todd&anita

I do not think there is any reason for a sway control bar. I used them on my stick built trailers and when I look at the engineering behind them I have a difficult time determining how they could do much good. I also towed those stick built trailers without the anti-sway bar at times and there was no discernable difference. The Snoozy tows so well it seeems like an absolute waste. Furthermore, I do not believe it is possible to use the standard friction anti-sway bar with surge brakes. I think there may be some type of sway control you can use with surge brakes but I have no experience doing so. and I have towed boats maybe 80,000 miles with good luck with surge brakes. You would have to get the electric brakes to use the typical anti-sway bar. I have had some difficulty getting standard electric RV brakes to behave properly because they are not self adjusting like discs and when they do not act totally in tandem you can get a pull to one side or the other that I find annoying. The one stick built trailer I towed to Maine I jacked up adjusted bakes a few times on the way there until I got the electric drums adjusted to the point were I thought they were acting properly. Never had to do that with surge brakes. Assuming your Roadtrek is the Class B RV that i know as a Roadtrek, it should tow almost as well as my truck and you will have no problem with the Snoozy. Most trailers that have serious fishtail problems do so because there is insufficient tongue weight. 7 to 15% is the target tongue weight. I aim for 10% and it always seems to work well. I use a tongue scale but you can use a bathroom scale to test for light trailers like the Snoozy.

May 4, 2014 at 10:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

todd&anita

My reasons for going all electric were: I almost always camp in a place with electric power. Air conditioner will only work that way. I like the solid build of the Snoozy fiberglass body. When you have to cut holes in the sidewall and the roof to use a propane refrigerator you give up that totally waterproof shell. Some people advise against towing with the propane on and filling up the tow vehicle at the gas stations with that flame going in the side of the trailer. I did it all the time because I wanted my food to stay fresh, but I understand the concern. I found the propane RV furnaces totally annoying. Noisy, (less so if you had ducted heating), and used so much battery to run the fan that it was dificult without being in an electric campsite. I almost always used an electric cube heater in my RVs equiped with propane. Propane furnace results in another hole being cut in the side of the trailer. Cut another hole in the side and you can have a propane water heater. Propane water heaters work well but they get extremely hot. Every now and then you see one were the side of the trailer above the water heater has caught on fire. Not a pretty sight. I would never leave my trailer and go for a bike ride or whatever with the propane water heater on. They are exposed to the outside so in late fall or early spring you had to be concerned about freeze damage if not drained. The Snoozy heater is inside so if you kept a small heat source on in the spring or fall to keep the inside above 32 degrees you are OK. I have not totally figured out the best way to winterize the Snoozy water heater, but I will before next November. With the 12 volt /120 volt Truck Frig. refrigerator you can tow down the highway with the 12 volt battery running the refrigerator and when you get to a campsite and plug in you can switch over to 120 volt. Two switches and its done. Works perfectly. One thing to suggest to the Snoozy folks is to put a deep cycle battery in your trailer. For some reason they put a marine starting battery in mine rather than a deep cycle. The cost difference is minor and money well spent. I do not know if they just ordered the wrong one for mine, whether there was a supplier issue, or just a mistake. For the week I was out, the starting battery did fine but the long term life of a starting battery if is gets drained from being run down is much less than a deep cycle. When it dies it will get replaced with a deep cycle. The air conditioner in the Snoozy uses less amperage than most RV roof mounted air conditioners so you can go visit your friends and park in their driveway and plug into their standard 15 amp outlet in their garage. Did that once with a roof mounted RV air conditioner and did not really sleep. One of those 85 degree humid nights with no breeze. Turn the air on and the breaker in the house blew.

May 4, 2014 at 11:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

whistler
Limited Member

todd&anita at April 21, 2014 at 10:43 PM

We ordered the Snozy with the following options:

Fiberglass tongue cover and generator cover and had the battery factory mounted outside on the tongue cover;

Disc surge brakes (I once converted a boat trailer from surge drums to surge discs and was so amazed at the difference in stopping pwer I would never get drum brakes if discs are an available option. Our boat trailer has electric over hydraulic discs, but that is an 8,000 lb trailer situation and more expensive and high pwered than needed for the Snoozy.) They worked exceptionally well in all conditions and were smooth as silk.

Cassette Toilet. I was not sure about this. Have had port-a-pottis, black holding tanks, and high tech vacu-flush systems. This is by far the easiest to clean and dump, neatest, and most sensible system for the way we use the facility.

Fantastic Fan. Works so well with the spring temperatures we really did not get to try out the air conditioner beyond making sure it worked, which it appears to do very well.

Aluminum Mag Wheels and aluminum spare - look good and weigh less, who would not order them?

Rear Bumper

Wood Coat Hook Rack over entertainment cabinet.

Rear exterior light with motion sensor under air conditioner - simple night light but the coolest $15 one can spend.

Bathroom Door Lock set up to keep the door open rather than closed - this may be the new way it comes because it makes more sense.

Truck Fridge 12 volt /120 volt refrigerator. This thing is wonderful. Nice neat installation at the factory. It is so quiet you have to listen carefully even tell if it is running.

Storage cover - washed #181 last night and put it on - fits well - definitely custom done.

When using the shower, do you find you have enough room for your shower, or does the cassette toilet occupy too much space (as opposed to the standard toilet which some people remove for showering). Which brand/model exterior motion sensor light did you have installed? Is it battery powered as opposed to ac, as your cost was only $15. I would think the installation alone would cost more than that...
April 22, 2016 at 2:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dan & Rita

Hey Whistler,

Being that Rita and I bought Todd and Anita's Snoozy last year at this time, I will try to answer at least part of your question. The Motion Sensor Light came from Lowes. It's battery operated with 2 AAA. It's magnetic and sticks to the bottom of the outside ac metal case. It's very handy in the middle of the night. Amazon has several different kind. You just need to remember to take it off before travel.

As far as the Shower goes. We've never used it and hope not to as long as there are public shower handy. I look at it as an emergency use only! I am a rather large man to say the least and wouldn't want to give it a go if I can avoid it. I've seen several snoozy owner put shelves and rods in theirs for clothes storage. If your looking for a big shower, you will need to go with a bigger RV. There is only so much room to go around in small trailers.

Hope I answered your questions,

Dan and Rita

April 22, 2016 at 5:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KAY-DEE

Dan & Rita at April 22, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Hey Whistler,

Being that Rita and I bought Todd and Anita's Snoozy last year at this time, I will try to answer at least part of your question. The Motion Sensor Light came from Lowes. It's battery operated with 2 AAA. It's magnetic and sticks to the bottom of the outside ac metal case. It's very handy in the middle of the night. Amazon has several different kind. You just need to remember to take it off before travel.

As far as the Shower goes. We've never used it and hope not to as long as there are public shower handy. I look at it as an emergency use only! I am a rather large man to say the least and wouldn't want to give it a go if I can avoid it. I've seen several snoozy owner put shelves and rods in theirs for clothes storage. If your looking for a big shower, you will need to go with a bigger RV. There is only so much room to go around in small trailers.

Hope I answered your questions,

Dan and Rita

Shower ... The wife and I are about "normal" in hight and weight. I fined the shower tight but useable. the wife uses it every morning with no problems or complaints.

April 22, 2016 at 7:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.