Lil Snoozy Owners Club

RIVER VALLEY EGG RALLY 2014   

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Winterizing

Kansas Kamper

we need some info on winterizing.

Have been searching but couldn't find enough to help us. 

How do we drain the hot water heater and cassette toilet?

Any help appreciated!

October 12, 2015 at 10:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave & Paula B.

I have read that in order to drain the water heater one needs to remove it and turn it up-side down.  I think if I had to winterize, I would use the RV antifreeze pumped from the fresh water tank into the cassette toilet, water heater,all traps and holding tank.

--
October 13, 2015 at 12:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kansas Kamper

Thanks for the info.

we had thought about doing that also.

We have a 1970 Trails West Campster -not much to winterize in it-no toilet, no hot water tank-no pump.

hurry up winter and get here and get gone!

We are anxious to go camping in our 'new to us' Snoozy.

October 13, 2015 at 9:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Charlie and Sara
Administrator

Last year I just made sure the cassette was empty. I drained the fresh water tank and pumped all the water out the lines that I could. I added RV antifreeze to the tank and pumped it through the cold and hot water lines until I had pink coming from the hot and cold in the sink, toilet and shower. Whatever drained into the gray tank and cassette stays there. It will take about six gallons. That worked fine. Flush out good in the spring.

--

Keep on Snoozin,

Charlie

October 13, 2015 at 10:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dan & Rita

I have been asking this same question since we bought our snoozy used last spring.

The factory and manual says to turn the heater upside down and drain it but that's a bit difficult when it's connected with standard pex piping and permanent clamps. The factory offered to replace the fixed connectors with quick disconnects fittings if I brought it to them for a price. My question is why didn't they put quick disconnects on when it was built?

Here Are Other Suggestions From The Online Forums:

**Pump 5-6 gals (4 gals needed for heater alone) of RV anti-freeze in the fresh water tank and pump it throughout the system using the 12V water pump, which would be expensive, especially if you had to do it more than once during the winter. If you don't want antifreeze in your fresh water tank, you would need to purchase a hand pump that connects to the city water connection which would by-pass the fresh water tank. Here's one from Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36003-Hand-Pump-Kit/dp/B0006IX7YW/ref=pd_sim_263_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1X5KDJKR5MZHTEQKMP6T&dpID=413desmMyLL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

**Flush water out with 20-30 lb. of air pressure using an adapter to the city water outlet and open the hot water faucet. But would that push “all of the water" out of the hot water heater? The way most hot water heaters are designed is the cold water inlet goes to the bottom of the tank and the hot water outlet goes out the top, meaning you would not get much water out before the air goes to the top of the tank and out the hot water outlet leaving the water in the hot water tank. Here's an adapter from Amazon that you can try this with: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006IX68O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

**I'm considering trying this one and would like your thoughts:

Apply a small amount of air pressure (20-30 lb.) on the hot water side of the kitchen sink faucet (using a home made adapter) and open a cold water outlet at the inside shower hose or outside shower hose if you have one. The air pressure would be applied to the top water surface in the hot water tank forcing most of the water out at the cold water inlet because the cold water is fed into the bottom of the hot water tank through a tube from the inlet at the top to the bottom of the tank. Does that make any sense?

And then with all or most of the water out of the hot water tank, you continue to pressurize the hot water tank with the compressed air from the same hot water faucet in the sink, as you open the faucet cold water side of each outlet in the trailer one by one until you get nothing but air.

Here is the Video in which I got this idea from: http://woodgears.ca/cottage/drain.html

I also talked to a tech rep from Bosch, the manufacture of the Ariston Model GL4.0 Water Heater. He didn't recommend putting RV antifreeze in the heater but didn't say why other than the tank lining is made of glass. I asked him about using the hot water inlet air pressure method above and he said that it might work but still said it's best to turn the heater upside down to drain completely.

For those of us living in the north, just blowing out with air may not be enough, adding antifreeze may also be needed, at least in all of the traps.

We're going to the Egg Rally in Cherokee this week. There will be 8 other Snoozy's there and I will be asking the owners how they are winterizing theirs. Will pass on any new ideas.

Didn't mean for this reply to get so long winded but it's an important issue.

--

October 13, 2015 at 11:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Charlie and Sara
Administrator

I will see you at the rally and we can discuss...

--

Keep on Snoozin,

Charlie

October 13, 2015 at 12:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Charlie and Sara
Administrator

Another thought on the antifreeze. If you need to use the trailer again after winterizing, you can recover a lot of the antifreeze and reuse. Just pump it into containers.

--

Keep on Snoozin,

Charlie

October 19, 2015 at 8:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dan & Rita

Winterized My Snoozy.

I tried pressurizing the hot outlet side of the hot water tank with 20-30 lb. of air pressure but was only able to get 1 gal of water out of the cold water side.

So I added enough RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank to fill all of the cold water lines, using the 12V water pump, including the cassette toilet pump.

Then using a hand pump kit on the city water inlet, I pumped 5-6 gal of RV antifreeze through the 4 gal water heater and out the sink and shower hot water side until the color was a nice pink.

--

October 21, 2015 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Charlie and Sara
Administrator

That's what I did, except I just pumped it from the tank with the 12 volt pump. I used six gallons. I made an earlier statement about recovering some of the antifreeze but I think it would be to diluted. I guess we are stuck with the six gallons until someone has a doable way to drain the hot water tank. Some people with other brands of campers have changed to instant on heaters but you would lose water capacity.

--

Keep on Snoozin,

Charlie

October 22, 2015 at 8:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kansas Kamper

We got it done! Almost.

Rich took out the hot water heater and drained it. Will store it inside the house still spring.

We then pumped rv antifreeze thru plumbing until we saw pink coming out of faucet and shower hose.

We didnt get pink water coming into toilet-is there something else we need to do there?

Thanks

October 22, 2015 at 11:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dan & Rita

Kansas Kamper at October 22, 2015 at 11:24 PM

We got it done! Almost.

Rich took out the hot water heater and drained it. Will store it inside the house still spring.

We then pumped rv antifreeze thru plumbing until we saw pink coming out of faucet and shower hose.

We didnt get pink water coming into toilet-is there something else we need to do there?

Thanks

If you have the cassette toilet, you need to pull antifreeze into the toilet using the electric flush button on the back of the toilet to get the water out of the line. Also besure you empty the removeable cassette. I read some one removed thiers to a place that doesn't freeze. I may do the same.

How did you remove the hot water heater? Did it come with screw on connectors at the inlet and outlet of the heater?

--

October 23, 2015 at 9:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kansas Kamper

We didnt get any water or antifreeze when pushing stool button.

we could hear some swishing noise but nothing came out.

Rich is still trying to see what the problem is.

Could the problem be not enough antifreeze-should we add more and try again.

How many gallons did you use?

hot water heater is held in place with a bracket on back side wall that heater slips onto and also a strap.  First cut the pex pipes, leaving enough of the pipe to put on a shut off valve and a connector on the hot water side. Then unscrew strap then lift up hot water heater off bracket-may be heavy if full of water.

Turned hot water heat on its side or upside down to drain water out.

May need a folded blanket to lay over the wood trim on floor at the storage area-it is back killer.

October 23, 2015 at 3:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doug Duncan

I winterized a different way and thought that I would share with you all. We planned to take the Snoozy out for a month in January to warmer climes and didn't want to have to flush all the antifreeze out in potentially freezing weather here before going on our trip. So we decided to keep the interior of the Snoozy just above freezing instead. We ended up not taking the trip so left it heated all winter.

I used the little heater that came with the Snoozy and set it to a little above low. I opened the doors to the basement, the fresh water tank compartment, the bathroom, and the under-sink cabinet. I put a heating pad on low in the bottom of the compartment under the toilet cassette. I used a digital thermometer to track temps in the main compartment and the cassette compartment. I adjusted the heaters to keep the temp above freezing. I used an RV cover that went all the way to the ground. I put a couple of gallons of antifreeze in the fresh water tank and ran the pump to push water out through the outside shower, both hot and cold. This also protected the pump in case the experiment failed.

A couple of times the interior temperature dropped a little below freezing and I adjusted accordingly. We had 2-3 weeks in single digits and teens this year here in Maryland.

I checked everything this week and there are no leaks. The only casualty was the water pressure regulator which I forgot and left on the floor of the basement near the door. 

You hear stories about the Escape trailer being insulated and cold-weather friendly, but I think that the Snoozy is more winter-friendly by having no black tank. The Escape folks seem to winterize and dry camp if they are in freezing weather. Put some antifreeze in the Snoozy gray tank and limit water use (i.e. no showers) and I think you could use it in sub-freezing conditions without dry camping. I would want to isolate and drain the outside shower so that the pump could be used. You would have to have shore power or use the generator a lot.  

April 17, 2018 at 9:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Donna&Greg

Kansas Kamper at October 13, 2015 at 9:18 AM

Thanks for the info.

we had thought about doing that also.

We have a 1970 Trails West Campster -not much to winterize in it-no toilet, no hot water tank-no pump.

hurry up winter and get here and get gone!

We are anxious to go camping in our 'new to us' Snoozy.

Hi Charlie! Thanks so very much for the many, many tips & truly helpful advice that you provide here! OK...we're SET. After two years of "remodels" some, massive failures, some very helpful, my husband has finally retired & we're a week out from our first real trip. Granted, it's to visit relatives...but we're working on it-it's a start!

The water tank has been sitting empty for a lonnng time now..can you give us any advice on-what we should do before filling it? Rinse it out? Using..what please? Thank you!!! I can't believe we're finally, finally ..going to USE IT!! :) 

Feels like we've forgotten how to do-EVERYTHING-but at last, we got the truck fridge installed and working (thank you McDenny for the great instructional!!) ...the on/off switch on the- inside of the fridge eluded us for a long time..hadnt turned THAT on & were baffled as to why it wasnt working :( -duuuuuh!! Its amazing...can't wait! Thank you again!!  

April 28, 2018 at 6:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.